THE MAIN OBJECTIVES OF IMIR ARE:
- To study the inter-religious and inter-ethnic issues in Bulgaria, in the Balkans, and the Mediterranean region, and to analyze the zones of compatibility and incompatibility between Islam and Christianity.
- To disseminate the knowledge about the ethnic, religious, cultural and linguistic minorities, as this is the only way to overcome xenophobia and to cultivate mutual confidence and understanding.
- To work for the peace and peaceful coexistence of various ethnic and religious communities in Bulgaria and in the Balkans and to promote tolerance and equality among all the ethnic and religious communities.
- To contribute to the creation of open society in the Balkans in order to overcome the prejudices towards the “internal others” – the minorities, and the “external others” – the Balkan neighbors.
- To combat discrimination towards the minorities in order to secure social, cultural and political inclusion of minorities.